If you're in high school, prom (AKA the biggest night of the school year!) is coming up. You've got your date, your dress, your hairstyle, and your shoes locked in. Now all you need is a picture-perfect makeup look to make you stand out on prom night! Whether you plan to work with a professional makeup artist or wish to DIY your own prom makeup, the process can be an absolute breeze.
The ideal prom beauty look should complement the color of your prom dress and accentuate your best features to make your natural beauty shine on this exciting evening. Whatever your aesthetic, dress color, eye shape, or skin tone, there's a stunning prom beauty look for you and we're here to help!
Did you know that before launching her makeup brand, Araceli Beauty, Araceli "Cely" Ledesma was a professional hairstylist and makeup artist in Los Angeles? Specializing in special occasion hair and makeup, Cely has more than ten years of experience to share - keep reading to learn Cely's tips to ensure your beauty look is prom night ready.
12 PROM MAKEUP TIPS
- MOOD BOARD. It's never too early to start planning your prom makeup look. Gather beauty inspiration from your favorite celebs or social media influencers. You can clip magazine photos and make a collage or save your inspo electronically by creating a designated Pinterest board. (Check out Araceli Beauty on Pinterest!)
- FEATURES FIRST. Experimenting with a new makeup look can be so fun! When planning your prom look, be sure to put your best features first. Remember, prom is YOUR night. Show off the features that make you feel the most confident. Love your lips? Try accentuating them with a bold lip color. Or show off those eyes with a classic winged eyeliner. Check out How To Perfect Winged Eyeliner featuring Ojos Perfectos Liquid Eyeliner and Gel Pencil Eyeliner!
- SELFIE TRIAL RUN. Whether you are having your prom makeup professionally done or doing it yourself, be sure to do a trial run beforehand to see what you do or do not like. Doing so will also allow you to see how makeup will wear throughout prom night. Be sure to snap some selfies with flash during your trial to make sure the tone of your face matches your body - flashback in prom photos is no bueno!
- MATCH YOUR TAN. If you plan on tanning for prom, make sure you have the same tan for the trial. This allows you (or your makeup artist) to match your skin shade perfectly to avoid fumbling the night of or possibly using the wrong match. Does your tan need a little boost? Try Araceli Beauty's Tequila Highlighters for a beautiful, natural bronze.
- HYDRATE. Keeping your skin hydrated helps ensure you have a healthy glow. Be sure to moisturize your skin and drink a lot of water in the weeks leading up to prom. For additional hydration, check out Araceli's Eyeshadows, Highlighters and Las Flores Blushes. They are enriched with Agave Oil to nourish and hydrate your skin.
- COMFORT ZONE. If you regularly wear a lot of makeup, feel free to wear the same amount for your prom. But if you typically wear minimal makeup, don't feel the pressure to overdo it. Stay true to yourself.
- FAUX REAL. Even if you don't wear makeup every day, adding faux lashes to your prom makeup look will make a HUGE difference - especially in pictures. Choose a pair of lashes that adds natural length and volume - we recommend Araceli Beauty's Acapulco Lashes. Want something more glam? Consider Araceli Beauty's Morelia or Cathryn lashes.
- FILLED IN BROWS. Filled in brows go perfectly with any makeup look and ensure you look bold and fierce in photos. We love Araceli Beauty's BEBE brow pencils. The ultra-fine tip is perfect for shaping and filling in sparse brows. The smudge-proof, waterproof formula glides on effortlessly and stays put so you can have beautiful brows all night long.
- SMUDGE-PROOF YOUR EYE LOOK. Use waterproof, long-lasting products to make sure your gorgeous makeup stays in place. We recommend Araceli Beauty's Ojos Perfectos Liquid and Gel Eyeliners. Our eyeliners are smudge-proof, water-resistant, fade-proof, and long-lasting. Don't stress if you work up a sweat on the dance floor!
- SET IT UP. Setting spray is vital on prom night! Make sure your makeup is set with a great setting spray, so it stays put throughout dinner, dancing, and selfies with your besties.
- HANDLE THE HEAT. Since prom is in the spring, be prepared for the heat and humidity, and know that you will need to retouch your makeup at some point in the evening. Carry a setting powder in your clutch to decrease shine throughout the night. Also, as you speak or eat, your lipstick will disappear. Choose a long-wear lipstick, or have your lipstick close by so you can reapply as needed.
- BRING BACKUP. In case you need to retouch - be sure to carry setting powder, lipstick, oil blotting sheets, bobby pins, and safety pins. You just never know if you'll need them!